2:24 AM

Performance Cancellation

Its 2.30am as I am typing this... can see that I have some explanations I need to give to my students. I was supposed to perform and I know a lot of my students are very excited to see the debut of Salsa X Productions featuring Rhythm Identity Salsa and Bachata Dance School and New Star Studio doing the new bachata style coined as BachaZouk!

However, everyone will be quite disappointed as we will not be performing. My sincerest apologies.

I had a very late meeting with the organizers of the event I am supposed to perform for. They informed me that one of the main participant of the event threatened to pull out if we did our performance on Sunday. Reason being that this particular person had some issues with the management of his studio and blames me for his current plight. So I told the management that to make life easier for everyone, Salsa X Productions will pull out of the event so the management of this event does not need to exercise the rights of the contract against this particular person.

Now, allow me to set the facts straight.

Let's start with some slight history.

In Feb 2008, I took over management of a studio where there was this guy who conducted his dance classes there. Now, he wasn't very happy that I took over the studio as I was once his student. He always thought... believed... that I will kick him out of the studio and take over his classes, even though I had told him I had no intention of doing so.

There was much commotion from his side until I decided not to meddle in the management of the studio beginning mid 2008.

Sometime mid Nov 2008, I got a call from my dance studio partner that she had evicted him out of the studio due to rental issues. When I had found out about it, it was probably around 2 weeks after she had evicted him.

Now, I stress this fact... I was not involved in his eviction nor was I aware of his eviction at the time it happened. However, in his mind it was I who evicted him. And all of his students who are my friends had no guts to even call me and ask me what happened. Instantly they came to a decision that it was I who had evicted him when the truth was no where near that.

So now, I write this blog to explain to my students why the performance could not go on. I have nothing to hide especially when its the truth. I will not give some other false excuses or sugar coat everything and I will be frank and honest.

Now, don't look at this negatively... Salsa X Productions has already performed on Saturday afternoon and showed everyone the BachaZouk. It was good enough. And this also tells us all... that every student of Rhythm Identity... past, present and future... that you need to persevere and prove to yourself that you can be the best there is in salsa and bachata, that we need to stick together no matter the cost and help each other and ride through the tough times. We need to grow together so that one day we will not be that easily preyed on by people who are envious and fearful of us. Let us shine...

Feel the Rhythm
Feel the Passion


Jaxen
"Salsa Daddy"

p.s. If you are a logical person, tell me this: If I owned a studio and I wanted to evict a guy who has no contract whatsoever with the studio, do I need to wait nearly 1 year to do so? From Feb until Nov... do I need to wait so long? If you're a reasonable person, you can see the logic behind this... I guess some people are illogical and unreasonable and cannot see the facts for what they are.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear sifu,

i was most disappointed to receive your sms regarding the cancellation of your sunday performance, coz i really was looking forward to being part of your 'la la dui' (cheerleading squad la, hehe), specially since i didn't see the saturday performance.

i cannot believe how silly, unprofessional and childish some adults can be! for this particular participant to actually threaten to pull out from the event just coz you were going to perform. what nonsense! i mean, come on! grow up already!

thank you for your explanation, but really, sifu, you did not have to justify anything.

some people do the most stoopid things out of jealousy and fear. this person did what he did coz he didn't want you to show everyone just what you are capable of, and he didn't want you to shine.

if people wanna talk, let them talk. coz i won't care, and i am very sure all your salsa kids won't care. we'll stick with you thru whatever, k? :)

dang! i have to go put away my pom-poms since i don't have to do any cheering. hehe never mind, will save them for next time round. ^.^


cHaRLii
"salsa & bachata baby" (for now!)

Alice said...

couDear Jaxen,
I must say, I m a blur case... First of all, I didn't get your sms. I contacted Nick so that he can give me a lift to 1U. On our way, he told me u r not performing. I was like Huh????? Did i miss something??? Truly i did. No worries, I m cool. So does Nick (I hope) from having a joyride with me :P

I m so sorry of what happened and what you have to go through. I was so looking forward for the whole 'live' performance. But hey, there is always another chance; in fact a lot of chances if we know how to grab them. Keep shining ya !!

The most Amateur among Amateurs :)

Rhythm Id said...

Thanks for all your support. I didnt manage to sms everyone. Was actually quite late and all... there will always be a chance to perform. However, my 2009 resolution is to have my students up on stage performing. So kids, time to get ready... hehehe!

Jaxen
"Salsa Daddy"

jullyajane said...

hey daddy...

we're ALWAYS with u... ;)

Anonymous said...

yeaa!! let the sengetness of RI shine!!!

ermm.. mayb i shud rephrase tht...

anyway now RI hav lots of salsa kids.. can throw them all on stage di ^^ I shall shake those pom poms for them =X

Nickz
Da InnocenT =P

Cecilia Chua said...

My first feeling when i get to know sunday performance would be cancel,be frank i was so disapointed. Cause i want to have a better performance on sunday,at least better than the sat one.

But when i listened through the whole story, i felt very calm and even slept very well that night. Want to know why?

Because if cancel the performance can make someone felt comfortable, i would rather to do so.

But always remember, ppls are judging fr what u are doing. Your true color will be seen by others if you made this 'stupid' decision.

We all are adult, no longer 18 years old. I just wish that salsa c an bring me fun, and not politic or problem. I 'm glad that RI is a place with no politic YET. I really wish that we can grow together and HAVE FUN together with our RI - LA /Aussie style salsa and bachata by getting rid of this so called politic game...

jullyajane said...

senget punya nickz.....

del88 said...

when i got the message that the performance was canceled i was so dissapointed because i really wanted to see them perform. i guess it does not stop here, more opportunities will come :) it takes boldness to be straightforward and honest. Its not how well we dance that makes us look good but how we overcome and take on things like that, that makes YOU the perfect dancer ;)

del