4:45 PM

My Passion

What else.. DANCING, of course! Well for me, it was Ballroom Latin that got me hooked on. It started in 2003, when my mom asked me to accompany her in a dance class. After a few classes, she dropped out. (Alamak, siapa teman aku?) But still I continued with the class. During that time, I was doing it for fun and for exercise purpose. Hey, you really sweat when the music gets faster… heheh..

There I met my new best friend, Cindy. Classes seem much more fun and interesting when you have friends who share the same enthusiasm. We got so focused and serious about it, that we spent most of our after-work hours at the studio. Practicing and perfecting our skills. Before we realized it, we have been doing this for 3 years. Wow, how time flies… (never admit you’re getting older, remember!)

I’ve never got the chance to go further into latin dancing, as I need to get a permanent dance partner to practice a lot to become very compatible. Be it for examination or competitions. It’s not easy to find one in a small town like Kuantan. The only place you can find men who loves dancing so much was in that studio only. And most (all) of them were old men. (ooppsss..!) It was in my 3rd year that I almost lost hope and wanting to give up on this little hobby of mine. It was so hard to it let go when suddenly, something new has come to town.

It was early 2007, Rhythm Identity KL, came to Kuantan to conduct a ‘Beginner Salsa Workshop’. I met the founders, Jackson and Sanddie. I began to develop new love. Not at the founders but the dance! SALSA…. It was a 2-day workshop that covers the basics, some combination, and 2 new dance, Bachata and Merengue. There was about 6 participants, with 5 girls and 1 guy (huh.. lucky him) All that, brings a new level of latin dancing for me. My exposure to the ‘real’ world of latin dancing.

Olivia, one of the participants of the workshop, also got hooked on to Salsa. Soon, we (Cindy, Olivia and me), were on the dance floor in Salsa Havana. THE PLACE TO BE if you wanna learn salsa.. We spent 2 nights in Federal Hotel, and it was INCREDIBLE. We got our hearts drawn further into it. We were so shy but it didn’t stopped us from having great time on the dance floor. The moment you see the instructors doing their moves… wow… you help falling deeply in love with the dance.

That night we saw something. A dance which we, Kuantanese, always feel uncomfortable and awkward about. It was Bachata. There was this malay girl, wearing her White short pants, and a sleeveless White blouse, dancing Bachata. Wah…………. Our eyes were stuck on her while she did her hip. Jaws hanging almost touching the floor, salivas dripping already.. See la… it happens to girls also… hahah.. I felt my feet pulling me to the dancefloor, wanting to do THAT!! But I don’t know how… :( but she was damn good. I WANNA LEARN THAT!!!

7 comments:

El PaJames said...

now we know ur history...seems like everything is jackson's doing..hehehe...YEAH SD...but girl when u do bachata it was DROOL for me also when i first saw it...ooo now i'm in it d...so fun...must dance d...next stop KIZOMBA!!!

Rhythm Id said...

Zouk first... it should come into msia in 2009... hopefully... as for the Kuantanese's passion to travel all the way from Kuantan just to salsa in KL and then back the next day (sometimes the same night) shows their determination and energy towards the dance... somethings that the KL ppl seems to lack. Well, at least I now start to see some KL people being regulars at the club but what happened to the others?? Where's the master of Nickchata? where's the pearl harbour bombshell? where's the lamb shank? where's spin the girl like crazy guy?

cHaRLeNe said...

hrms...nickchata i know la. pearl harbour bombshell?? lamb shank?? spin the girl like crazy guy??

who are all these people??

and yes, where are they??

del88 said...

hey salsa daddy we do not lack in determination and energy we are just playful at times i guess lol for me i take dance seriously but never tensionly cause i know at the end of they i am there to enjoy myself . i know nickchata, bombshell , lamb shank i am guessing shankar the last one i really dont know lol

Anonymous said...

haha we will be back xD

tht bomb in aus ==

da spin shud be back in msia already....

im guessing...

Rhythm Id said...

spin the girl like crazy guy willl be back in jan 09 from australia. seems like everyone is going to australia. del goin next yr. bombshell there. guy magnet there. spin girl guy there oso. next yr me going oso. who else there or going??

Rhythm Id said...

spin the girl like crazy is back!!