12:10 PM

Salsa on the dance floor

It's always a happy feeling when I see my students out on the dance floor dancing and having fun. That's the way it should be. Especially for the new ones. And I am especially happy that Bill went to ask a non-RI lady to dance. That takes guts... a lot of guts especially when you are new to the dance floor.

Most of the times, the guys are either too shy or too scared or too... whatever... to ask the girls to dance. This is always the case for those new to the dance floor. They always end up dancing (if they ever do at all) with the people from their same class.

And I am happy that some are already getting their dance shoes (a bit late but better than never) and are enthusiastic about wearing it on the dance floor. Miki, the shoes will make you a different woman. Now Nick won't want to dance with you anymore... hehehe!

Keep coming out to dance. It doesn't atter if you're just doing the basics the whole night. That's how you will learn. Get the timing right, don't think too much, don't hesitate... just dance.

When I first hit the clubs, all I could do was just 5 moves; simple turn (lady turn and then I turn la...), inside turn, cbl, cblt and waterfall. I could dance the whole night with just these moves. Sometimes, you don't need a lot of fancy moves. Well, sometimes you do but what's important is to learn how to dance right and enjoy the dance without thinking too much of the technical stuff. Enjoy the moment and just do it... right or wrong,

Its not What you do, its How you do it.

Jaxen
'Salsa Daddy'

7 comments:

El PaJames said...

Thanks SD...now i dun feel so stressed using just those moves..hehehe...plus enchufa duble and some other improvised body rolls wakakakaka....seems like i'm the only 1 doing the partner pivot turn..wakakakaka

Anonymous said...

what is partner pivot turn?

haha now i must call u all sifus and sigongs edi all got power shoes edi lolxx

cHaRLeNe said...

sifu...that comment about nick not wanting to dance wif miki now that she's got her shoes...ouch! you so bad la...

huahuahua

:P

del88 said...

i am glad that i got drag into social dancing .because i had to do my shoes so i was like what the hell just go. At first i hessitated to go because i am not confident in myself showing people the moves yet but then i was like HEY what the hell if i improved my hip hop my going clubbing i guess it will work to for salsa AND guess what it did . I ended up doing moves SD never thought lol ehem ehem * Bani * and i learn the maringge and chacha thanks to Norman quite a good a patient teacher i have to say lol. i always thought cha cha was for the oldies HEY i was wrong . dancing with SD got me shaken up at first but i was like HEY this is my time to look good cause he can make me look good when dancing even if i screw up which i know i did. BUT hey laugh it off and just have fun . Thanks guys for an awesome night :) luv you all

del88 said...

i have a post link here on how and why i wanted to dance . the link is
http://delmissacent.blogspot.com/2008/12/how-it-all-begin.html . if you can go to the link my main blog is http://delmissacent.blogspot.com
have fun :)

Rhythm Id said...

nothing comes easy. work hard for it. when things seem down and u feel like giving up...DON'T!! success could just be a few steps away! keep the fire burning in u no matter what, dun give up. fire is passion. passion is excitement. salsa and bachata... is all those above.

keep the flame alive.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jaxen:

I thought I'd chime in on the tail end of this particular post because it seems to be for the benefit of beginners or early intermediates who might be struggling with the confidence angle.

My approach on that is just to keep in mind that people shouldn't worry about 'what other people think' about their dancing. The fact is, other people really don't care about what you're dancing.

Anybody who's not on the floor themselves is, by definition, not as much 'in the game' as you are....so who give's a rat's behind what they think? If anything, they're probably jealous that you had the courage to get out there and 'do it'......while they're sitting there on the sidelines living vicariously.

Don't worry about them.

The people who are also dancing are either (a) worried about themselves, so they're not paying any attention to you, or (b) more mature dancers and they're either enjoying themselves and not concerned with what you're doing or they're mature enough to respect you for doing your best.


And as far as 'what' you're doing...I can totally assure new dancers, after my 7 or 8 years of dancing that it's much, much better, and more desirable as a partner, to simply have good rhythm and a 'comfortable' connection than to be able to do lots of tricks.

I'll never forget when I began to look around me in the clubs in Houston (where I learned to dance) and noticed that it was the Latinos, mostly, who never had a dance lessoon and who hated to do lots of tricks but rather just swing and sway and groove with the music with an economy of motion....it was them who seemed to be having the most fun. And dancing should be about fun.

One of the thing that's contributing, I think, to bachata's recent upsurge in populariety is that, being a slower dance, it's a lot easier to follow. I think it's also valuable though as a learning tool toward learning salsa, that it's rhythm actually is a quick-quick-slow....it's just at a slower tempo.

It's also a lot of fun and I think sometimes fits the music better to put the 'bump' on the two beat rather than the four like most people do.

Anyway....hope that's some encouragement to the beginners.

Best regards,
Art
www.wanderingsalsero.net