11:03 AM

Why can't I dance properly at times

I have this problem, whenever I dance with someone more professional I get intimidated. I begin to be oversensitive to my timing and my signals and leads, that I end up messing up the dance even more and not allowing both parties to enjoy the dance. But when I dance with a lady who's an international world renowned dancer (I think) I was comfortable I was not fearful I just danced.
Maybe it was Bachata rather then Salsa, as I m more confident when it comes to dancing Bachata. There are some steps that I never used at all on the dance floor except for certain partners as not all my dancing partners knows all the lil cheecky moves I have learnt. I think it's time to stop choosing partners and just dance.

James T K Khoo
"Dancing - The Vertical Expression of a Horizontal Desire."

4 comments:

Cecilia Chua said...

James,

No worry, just enjoy the music and dance with the music. Actually, i had same problem with you last time. Especially dance with your/my SiFu. You all know that he is famous in showing face when our timing is out or when can’t follow his leading.....

During that time, i just concentrated on his leading and movement. This is the reason i can't really enjoy the song and always have timing issue... ( kena marah thousand times d), damn panic!

But now, i learn to listened the music and react according to the music, you will find more fun and feel more natural... Sooner and later, your so called James's style will come out ...

For timing, no choice but listen more salsa song

For styling and technique, need to learn fr Sifu and practice more .. find one regular partner and dance more .... really ...


Fr
CRaZYBaCHata

El PaJames said...

wa...now also got nick name d r...hehehe...well i need to remind myself that i'm still new to this...it is barely 6 months into dancing n i'm trying to do thing that ppl took 1 +++ year to learn...so i must keep on dancing listening to the music and watch more youtube and look at how others dance. dancing with u also gives me stress cos u always force me to remember my lessons n i panic at that..will work on it more to remember the steps till it's just like breathing ;)

jullyajane said...

heheheheh

del88 said...

a gree with cecilia. the trick is to enjoy the music ... somehow you naturally make less mistakes .... dont stress ... dance is something you suppose to be doing for fun and to release tension why add more :P no one is perfect and i guess everyone has their own faults . like me i am as stubborn as a bull . i tend to lead the guy sometimes. ( smacks ) but i try not to repeat these mistakes ;)if the person you dance with is a higher level . learn from them screw the mistakes they should understand the level that you are :). a true dancer never gives up too . at the end of the day it pays off :)